"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- JP Curran, 1790
Monday, October 27, 2008
First, the term "Middle Class" is a politically deceptive term. It is an undefined group in society that is typically invoked to represent the majority. But, how is the Middle the majority? Let's examine. If you are someone of lower income, the Middle Class is something you aspire to. It is the stable, hard-working, family oriented heart of America that we all want to self-identify with. For those of higher income, you aspire to make more money, but still want to associate yourself with the societial norms of the "Middle Class". Probably because that is what you grew up with. All of this is why you hear the term "Middle Class" used whenever a politician wants to potray the "good" people of this country. Why would you want "Middle Class" taxes to go down, you are part of the "Middle Class", right? Right? How do you know?
Second, the "Middle Class" has intentionally been left undefined. This year we see Barack play with the ceiling by defining it as $250K. This is of course and inclusion tactic to help more well-to-do people associate themselves with his plans. You will never hear him, or any other politician, define the floor of the "Middle Class". Not because they would set it low to include those lower income earners aspiring to be included, but because the focus would be on those outside of this definition. Why not me?
Let's run the numbers on this definition of $250K:
Only 2% of income earners make more than $250K. They are already paying a Federal tax rate of 33-35%. Add in State and local taxes and its probably between 65-75%, now. In order for BO to make his revenues to pay for all of his new spending, where is the money going to come from? Are you going to raise the top 2% rate? How would you respond to 90% of your income being taxed? Well, when CA raised state taxes on this top bracket, they moved their money out-of-state. Causing a 7% decline in state revenues in a single year. Think this won't happen at the Federal Level?? Guess what, it already is!! Our corporate tax rates are the 2nd highest in the world. Most of the corporations in the U.S. have off-shore tax shelters where they funnel as much income as possible to save. And people wonder why companies want to outsource. Not to India and China because of cheap labor, but Ireland, Poland, or Austria where they can manufacture a certain percentage of their product with skilled and educated labor and if that percentage is high enough, they can then attribute more of the income from that product to that countries' tax rates.
Back to income taxes, if BO wants to increase taxes in the future his revenue pool is limited to the 2%, IF he keeps his promises. The dangers of increasing taxes in a recession aside (ahem, Herbert Hoover), he will have no choice but to raise your taxes. How? By not calling it a tax increase but, by repealing the evil Bush Tax cuts. See the images below, the second from the Tax Foundation which will show you the impact of the Bush Tax Cuts. They broke the numbers at $200K, so on average if you were making less than $200k your taxes were decreased by 20.24% (Non-AMT) and 12.84% (AMT). Thank you President Bush!!
Still think your taxes won't go up??
By the ceiling definition, can we assume that the floor of the "Middle Class" is anyone above 2%? Meaning that 96% of income earners are in the "Middle Class"?? No wonder this is the favorite definitive term used by politicians, we all aren't just psychologically associating ourselves with the "Middle Class", we are the "Middle Class"! So who isn't in the "Middle Class"? The richest of the rich (policians themselves) and the poorest of the poor (the receivers of our wealth). What a game!!
Those are the facts!!
Sphere: Related Content
- MCCAIN LEADS!!!
- The Color of News
- Get Mad, Make your voice heard. VOTE!
- Obama will not tolerate your insolence!
- Top Election YouTube video
- The Age of Stupidity Arrives Early
- The apex of a deceptive campaign: The $4M Infomerc...
- The little campaign that could...
- Links for the day
- Biden Foot in Mouth -- Part II
- State of the Race: McCain's limited opportunities
- No Barney, that's not the type of drilling we need...
- Drudge Calls it a Bombshell...It's "Dog bites man"...
- Dueling Philosophies
- Barack Obama's "Middle Class"??
- Barack is the "Jimmy Carter" candidate?
- What's with the crazy polls this year: A statistic...
- What do you know about Barack Obama?
- Resurrection of Harry Truman
- It came in the middle of the night!
- Obama's Supporters Vote for McCain's Policies!
- Our crisis of confidence in Leadership
- Democrats (In Their Own Words) Defending Fannie an...
- Barney Frank...not the kind of drilling we need
- BREAKING NEWS: Barack not in Hawaii
- Joe "Nostradamus" Biden
- The Democratic National Committe's new seal
- Barack has good pick up lines; can he score?
- Obama en Masse
- Prophetic Words from Reagan
- Stare Into the Eyes of the Great Leader Prophet Me...
- The Liberal Mind
- A Liberal Supermajority
- The funny men
- The McCain Surge
- Paradigm Shift
- John McCain
- Barack as Robin Hood, a song
- Oh Nuts!
- Biden's Foot-in-Mouth Disease
- Biden Attacks Joe the Plumber
- McCain Scores in the Final Debate
- Is there still hope for McCain?
- Anticipation for Obamanomics
- Too Little, Too Late?
- Barack is Robin Hood in Sheeps' Clothes.
- ACORN voter registration fraud (cont.)
- The coming Keynesian revolution
- ACORN voter registration fraud (cont.)
- Premature Evacuation
- Biden's Creative Use for Rosary Beads
- Power and Importance of Religion
- Liberal intellectualism at its best (McCain suppor...
- Republicans are racist!
- Obama's Supporters and Specific Accomplishments
- We're all going to DIE unless Global Warming is So...
- Russia Fires Missile into the Pacific
- Sarah Silverman Says you can poop and vote and the...
- Iraq is the Central Front in the GWOT Despite Obam...
- Distinguished Economists Agree with McCain
- October Surprise?! -- Drudge Reporting Obama Had ...
- Obama Disses the Flag
- Smoot-Hawley Tariff Redux
- Meanwhile back in North Korea...
- "I will slow our development of future combat syst...
- Recommended Reading
- ACORN voter registration fraud
- Is BO the great and powerful Oz?
- Transparency in Government?
- Ayers, Wright, Code Pink, and NARAL ... ALL OBAMA ...
- Obama's Crazy Claims
- A Time for Choosing
- Real Change = McCain
- The Disturbing William Ayers
- 48 Seconds of Stuttering followed by 2 Seconds of ...
- Liberals Know SO MUCH ... that isn't so
- Subtle Hint at Obama's "Belief System"
- $700B of postive reinforcement, for what?
- 3 Reasons to questions BO's judgement
- The Dangers of Celebrity Worship, A Threat to our ...
- An American Carol
- VP Debate Reaction: Neither won, but one strategy ...
- MORE ELECTORAL FUN!!
- EC Average - Bradley Effect = Tie?!
- The Return of Karl Marx
- ▼ October (86)