"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- JP Curran, 1790
Monday, January 12, 2009
The University of California has just completed a study on the efficacy of San Francisco's numerous surveillance cameras. The result: they have no effect on crime. (Read it here) That's the liberal response to a criminal element...put up cameras while making gun ownership all but impossible.
Here's the American response, straight out of Kennesaw, Georgia! This Georgia town mandated that all homeowners MUST possess a firearm to protect their property. There are a few exceptions for religious objections, etc, but by and large, this Southern town took criminals to task. Lawful citizens back in 1982 said to criminals, "come and get it" and crime dropped by 74% the first year! Since passage of the law, there have only been 3 murders to date...two of them committed with knifes.
The socialists-liberal agenda wants to control the citizenry, seeing only numbers, not individuals. By restricting our rights to gun ownership, they are effectively removing our self-reliance, and placing it firmly in the hands of government. Public schools preach a reliance on the government as if it were Gospel, and endless public service announcements, liberal Hollywood productions, and writings tell us that the proper response is to sit and wait for the police (i.e., the government) to take care of our problems. Police do not prevent crime, citizens do. The police are vital to a civilized society, but only in the fact that they capture known criminals, and investigate past crimes. An officer will do a nice job of drawing a chalk outline around your body for you, but a Colt 9mm will probably keep you alive during a home invasion.
The results of the UC study shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. Criminals think in the immediate present, with no regard for future or near-future consequences of their actions. A camera presents a far-off future possibility to a criminal, much less important than the immediate gratification of taking your money or your life. A Saturday Night Special out of the purse of a would-be victim...now that presents more of an immediate concern for the bonehead criminals!
The answer to almost any problem in a free society is to create MORE freedom, not less. Many of our problems revolve around our lack of true freedom (e.g., gun restrictions in areas of high crime, government intervention in the free markets in the form of institutions like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, etc). Sphere: Related Content
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009...
- The Resistance: Part Duo
- Research Assistant 2008
- The Resistance
- MN Senate Recount Trial: Day 2
- Jay Cost Election Review Part 3 & 4
- Republicans flexing their opposition muscles
- Predictions for the Obama Presidency
- Nancy " The Wicked Witch of the West" Pelosi
- The arrogance of assumed mandates
- A moral questioning of Nationalized Healthcare
- Why we are where we are, and how to move forward.
- Obama stock is over priced, get ready for the sell...
- The Age of President Bush is at an End
- Ramos and Compean are Free
- Let the benefit of History be the judge
- Coleman outlines court challenges
- Official White House reports of the accomplishment...
- A Charge to Keep
- The New Rust Belt States ... Blue States
- Saying goodbye to George Walker Bush, the man
- Barack Obama renews the prominence of the "Victim ...
- Still think the U.S. is not dominant?
- Coleman is all in!
- Guns, not cameras, prevent crime!
- 2010 Democratic Senate Super-Majority?
- Who is Caleb Stegall?
- Jay Cost Election Review Part 2
- Constitutional Crisis
- Sarah Palin refuses to forfeit
- Obama focused on college football?
- Obamanomics, everything for everyone
- Sen. Reid, the Constitution, the Constitution, Sen...
- An Election Review by Jay Cost
- Um, Harry your arrogance is showing
- This recession was inevitable and overdue!
- No Franken Way!
- Sen. Reid says Dems can do "Whatever we want to do...
- Calling Down the Thunder
- My Letter to Sen. Reid
- Fighting Escalates in Gaza/Israel
- 68% of the active duty military not optimistic abo...
- McCain called it, Ukraine is next on Russia's list...
- Reid's Betrayal!
- Manufacturing Fell to 28 Year Low
- ▼ January (45)