"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- JP Curran, 1790
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
In essence this bill seems to try to make it legal for those citizens with a concealed carry permits in one state to carry the same licensed, permitted weapon in another state; however, some of the wording is a little tricky here. For example, the bill states that the person carrying his or her firearm is "subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried." Presumably this means that private businesses that do not want firearms, stadiums, libraries, and other places that commonly 'outlaw' firearms (concealed carry permits or not), but I gather that a loose interpretation of such a bill would allow too much wiggle room for liberal state governments to find creative ways of restricting access to interstate highways, and the like.
Here's my proposed S. 371 rewrite:
Section 2. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.
(a) Refer to Amendment 2.
Overall, I'm surprised to see Sen. Bennett go against the Democratic party and at least attempt to support gun rights to some extent, but I fear this is nothing more than lip service, as we know this bill will ultimately either fail to become law or fail to adequately protect gun rights of American citizens. The bigger grievance we should have with Sen. Bennett is his support of the Screw the Taxpayers Act of 2009 (commonly referred to as some type of 'stimulus' plan). Sphere: Related Content
- Offering Common Sense is Undergoing Changes
- Republicans who voted for the Omnibus Bill (H.R. 1...
- Get ready to be hit by an Omnibus (H.R. 1105)
- Georgia Republicans Stand Against the IRS
- Alan Colmes, the new National Inquirer of the News...
- Bush Diplomacy v. Obama Diplomacy
- Earmarks, Get Your Earmarks Here!
- Rep. Jackson-Lee is at it again! H.R. 262 - Preve...
- S. 449 - Free Speech Protection Act of 2009
- "A Nation of Cowards." -- AG Holder
- S. 371 - Sen. Bennett (D - CO) Co-sponsoring
- H.R. 794 - Rep. Doug Lamborn's Current Bill
- Pork Alert! H.R. 1000 (Update #1)
- H.R. 17 - Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009
- My Dream
- The Top of the Slippery Slope
- Constitutional Amendment XXVIII
- The Pork Barrell Spending and Screw the Taxpayers ...
- GOP Leadership embracing its role as the oppositio...
- Sen. Collins, Specter, and Snow: A Betrayal of Pr...
- The Culture of Death
- Obama's Stimulus is his First Battle of Manassas
- Grab your shovels
- Coleman still tickin'
- ▼ February (24)