"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- JP Curran, 1790
Saturday, February 21, 2009
In a bill that does little more than grant more government benefits (such as unemployment, time off of work, insurance benefits, and free housing!) the Texas Democrat has proclaimed that she knows what a "hate" crime is:
‘(20) HATE CRIME- The term ‘hate crime’ means a criminal offense in which the prosecutor has determined that the defendant intentionally selected a victim, or in the case of a property crime, the property that is the object of the crime, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, or sexual orientation of any person.
Now think about this for just a minute. A prosecutor will now presume to punish not only the crime of the defendant, but also the actual thoughts going through his head. Obviously this type of Orwellian "justice" is a farce. The real purpose here is simply for Rep. Jackson-Lee to attempt to purchase votes for herself out of the national purse. As a liberal Democrat, her constituents, as opposed to a Republican's, are more likely to be minorities [race], of some religious affiliation other than Christianity [religion], from another country [national origin], black [ethnicity], female [gender], disabled [disability] (except for disabled veterans), and homosexual [sexual orientation].
What's so striking about this bill, is that it removes the incentive from a more lofty goal of justice, and shifts it towards getting stuff. If you are a majority, Christian, male, heterosexual person, and you are robbed at gunpoint, you get nothing but the satisfaction of seeing the perpetrator behind bars (if he's caught). If you're armed (this is Texas), then perhaps you can send the criminal to hell and save some taxpayer money, which also gives a bit of satisfaction, I suppose. But that is where the buck stops. If you're a Jackson-Lee voter, then don't stop there! You might as well get some government benefits, too!
*Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not suggesting that individuals, due to their social category as defined in this bill, will be either Democrat of Republican, rather, Rep. Jackson-Lee has made a calculated effort to cast a wide net around her voting base. That said, who can name the screenshot movie reference in the post? Sphere: Related Content
- Offering Common Sense is Undergoing Changes
- Republicans who voted for the Omnibus Bill (H.R. 1...
- Get ready to be hit by an Omnibus (H.R. 1105)
- Georgia Republicans Stand Against the IRS
- Alan Colmes, the new National Inquirer of the News...
- Bush Diplomacy v. Obama Diplomacy
- Earmarks, Get Your Earmarks Here!
- Rep. Jackson-Lee is at it again! H.R. 262 - Preve...
- S. 449 - Free Speech Protection Act of 2009
- "A Nation of Cowards." -- AG Holder
- S. 371 - Sen. Bennett (D - CO) Co-sponsoring
- H.R. 794 - Rep. Doug Lamborn's Current Bill
- Pork Alert! H.R. 1000 (Update #1)
- H.R. 17 - Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009
- My Dream
- The Top of the Slippery Slope
- Constitutional Amendment XXVIII
- The Pork Barrell Spending and Screw the Taxpayers ...
- GOP Leadership embracing its role as the oppositio...
- Sen. Collins, Specter, and Snow: A Betrayal of Pr...
- The Culture of Death
- Obama's Stimulus is his First Battle of Manassas
- Grab your shovels
- Coleman still tickin'
- ▼ February (24)