- 53 - seats held by Democrats
- 40 - seats held by Republicans
- 2 - seats held by Independents (both Sanders and Lieberman caucus with the the DEMS)
- 2 - undecided races in MN and GA
- 3 - open seats vacated by the election of Obama & Biden and nomination of Clinton
- 17 - Republicans up for re-election in 2010
- 15 - Democrats up for re-election in 2010
- 2 - seats to be vacated by Republicans in 2010 (Brownback (KS) and Martinez (FL))
- DEMs will hold a 58-42 majority in January.
- MN & GA will be held by Coleman and Chambliss
- Obama, Biden, and Clinton will be replaced by appointed or special run-off Democrats
- Republicans will hold 14 of the 19 seats up for re-election in 2010.
- Democrats will hold 14 of the 15 seats up for re-election in 2010. Giving them a 62-38 filibuster-proof majority.
Signing off...JCBSphere: Related Content