"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- JP Curran, 1790

Monday, December 22, 2008

My Letter to Rep. Lamborn, 5th District, Colorado

Rep. Lamborn,

Congratulations on your victory. You had support from my family during this election, as we all voted for you.

When I look at Colorado, a state that I've only recently moved to in the past year, I see a void. There is an embattled governor (a Democrat), and two out-going Senators. While Sen-elect Udall won his seat, and will replace our only Republican Senator, it appears that Sen. Salazar will take a cabinet post with Pres-elect Obama's Administration, leaving Gov. Ritter to choose any old liberal he sees fit.

For Republicans in Colorado, at least within the 5th district, you are the continuity.

As a staunch Conservative (which is not always synonymous with Republican unfortunately) I'd like to see a few bold initiatives from you and the party.

1) Term limits. Reduce the term that Representatives serve to 2. Four years in office is enough to get things done. If it's not, then perhaps it's time for a new voice anyway. One 6 year term for Senators is plenty. Let's end career politicians, and start getting some real leadership in Washington. If it's good enough for the President, it's good enough for Congress.

2) Control taxes. If it says "new tax" kill it. They will call you names, tell you "it's for the children" or come up with a variety of reasons to claim that increasing taxes is the right thing to do, but it is not.

3) Control spending. If we don't have it, and we're not under a Nazi invasion, don't spend it.

4) End extraneous government programs that bog down industry, create massive red tape, and appear only to exist for the sole purpose of existing. The Constitution is your guide. You will find a very clear mandate for limited action on behalf of the nation. Simply because we have more technology and more people than our founders did, doesn't mean that we should throw this document out.

5) Do not support the Pres-elect as he attempts to circumvent the Constitution. For example, Sen. Clinton is ineligible for a cabinet position this term. She must resign her Senate seat, and then be appointed during the next term because she was in office during an affirmative pay raise vote.

Conservatives don't exactly need a new way forward; they need to remember the old way. To sum up our 'new' necessary platform for victory in 2010 and beyond, you can say "freedom" or "liberty." People have become a dependent group, dependent on the government's good graces.

That is not America.

We crave freedom, at least many of us still do. I would prefer to start a business instantly, free to choose my products, my services, my employees, etc. I'd prefer not to have a million incessant regulations controlling everything from the alarm clock I wake up to, to the coffee I drink, to the mixture of gasoline I pump into my truck, to the mattress I sleep on.

It takes brave leadership to be a Congressman willing to put your fellow Washington politicians out of work. If you can do it, you could run for Governor of this state in 2010, and probably win. Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in the 1st Amendment. Say whatever you want. If you're a moron, I may point that out...if I have time. :P

Site Meter

Blog Archive